I'm being selfish

This week has been a whirlwind of emotions that I struggle to articulate. Attending the funeral of a childhood friend's father, who passed away unexpectedly, opened floodgates of nostalgia and sadness. We shared a bond through our mutual love for horseback riding, receiving our first ponies almost simultaneously. While we've drifted apart as adults, the news hit me hard. Our parents, similar in age and pursuits, faced the unimaginable loss of a husband, father, grandfather, brother, and friend. Witnessing my friend's grief and contemplating my own future in their shoes brought tears of empathy and fear. The inevitability of losing loved ones, a reality we often push aside, looms ominously.


Reflecting on my relationship with my family, I realize how it's evolved over the years. From distant ties to a profound dependency, I now find solace and support in them daily. When my father suffered a heart attack, I was thrust into a surreal state of emotional numbness, only to crumble in relief upon his recovery. Despite being the eldest, I found myself vulnerable, seeking solace from my younger sister.


My mother's declining memory has altered our bond, prompting me to assume a new role in her life. Though I've adapted to the changes over time, there are moments when I ache for the past version of her. The uncertainty of what lies ahead with her condition is a constant challenge.


While I cherish the present moments with my parents, the looming specter of their eventual absence fills me with dread. The thought of navigating life without them feels overwhelming, a fear I'm not sure I'll ever fully reconcile.