Will I be blind in 2024?

Last year, the first week of January 2023, I face planted in a parking lot and just about broke my ankle. This is where my diabetes journey started. The trauma to my ankle was server but thankfully not broken, but it shouldn't have taken as long as it did to heal. By the beginning of March 2023 I was finally out of the boot and scooter. The 2nd week of March is when I was diagnosed with diabetes. So, a year later, I'm on the path to living with my diabetes and getting it under control. The weekly shots have played a significant role in my progress.


I walked into this year, January 2024, VERY carefully. BUT, don't you worry, I'm not leaving this month unscathed.


The first weekend of the month, I went to the barn, had my lesson, had a great ride with Buffy and I came home. I decided to lay down for a minute before starting my weekend reset. A short nap. This short nap turned into a 12 hour nap. I basically slept from Saturday afternoon, to Sunday afternoon. Some nap, I was out and dead to the world. I guess my body was telling me to slow down and just sleep. (side note, why didn't my husband check on me or try to wake me? No clue. I wouldn't know, maybe he did.)
I've worn my contact for weeks without taking them out. And yes, at times, they feel like they have been super glued to my eyeballs, but it's not unusual for for me to wear my contacts for days on end. But normally I do take them out daily. Since I hibernated like a bear, when I did wake up, I did take my contacts out. My left eyeball immediately was irritated, swollen, bloodshot and SO painful. I put some lubricating drops in, and crossed my fingers my eye would start to feel better. It felt like there was something in my eye, stabbing me. I flushed my eye, washed my face and eyelashes, blew my nose... did all the things to try to relieve whatever was going on with my eye. Nothing was working. And then of course the winter storm hit. Everything was going to be closed on Monday. I made an appointment to see my eye Dr. Monday afternoon, hoping the weather wouldn't be that bad. Everything closed and my appointment was canceled. I took some advil since my eye was hurting so bad. It helped a little. Enough for me to go back to sleep. I finally got in to the eye Dr Tuesday afternoon. Leave it to me to get an ulcer in my eyeball. Just my luck. I was given antibiotics and had to put eyedrops in my eye EVERY hour till my follow up on Thursday. Every. Hour. I asked the Dr. " what about when I'm sleeping?" He replied with "Every. Hour." URGH.
Thursday follow up, after feeling like I've overdosed on eyedrops. My ulcer is healing. I will have scaring. Thankfully, the ulcer isn't in my line of sight, but it is going to scar. If the ulcer was in my line of sight, I wouldn't have 20/20 vision. Um, hello, Dr? I wear contacts and glasses already, I don't have 20/20 vision. Not what the Dr meant. If the scaring goes into my line of vision, glasses and contacts will no longer help. (Did anyone else get confused on that one, because I was) With the ulcer being so close to my line of vision, the scaring could feather into my line of vision. So, I have another follow up tomorrow (Tuesday) to see how its healing and where the scarring is going. Without my contacts or glasses, I'm already blind. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Am I going to be blind? Am I going to add blindness to my list of health concerns? Migraines, diabetes, and blindness. Sure, that sounds like an amazing way to bring in the New Year. Is this what 40 is going to look like? Did I mention I turn 40 this year? WTF.