Skip to main content

31 years of friendship

One of my oldest and dearest friends has recently come back into my life. As the title reads, we have been friends since we were 4 years old. Our birthdays are in the same months, we didn't go to the same schools ever, we love animals, we grew up in the church with the same beliefs, our parents were friends, I moved away when we started 7th grade, our lives both changed drastically once we were apart. My life in Longview/Hallsville was a long time ago. We went to church in Longview, my Dad worked in Longview, but we lived in a smaller town right outside Longview called Hallsville. I met my childhood friend at church. We have been friends ever since. Even with the long distance and losing touch here and there we always came back together at some point in our lives.

I am so grateful to have this person in my life. Like I've mentioned in other blogs, I don't have a lot of friends, so the ones I do have, I am grateful to keep.

She was in town this weekend and we got to catch up and reminisces about the old times. It's so funny how much I forget, but someone else can remind me and all those memories come flooding back into my brain. Where do my memories go? If I'm not reminded of them, they are just back there in my brain.... I wonder how many others memories I have forgotten about.

I  have another friend who I met when I first moved to the Dallas area in 1997. She has a memory of an elephant. She remembers everything we ever did and she remembers everyone. When I hang out with her and she mentions things or people of our past, I'm just astonished at how much I don't remember on my own.

Without these people in my life, I may forget everything. But what have I already lost? People that I know longer communicate have  memories that I don't remember! What memories will I lose? Wouldn't know!

Popular posts from this blog

Will I be blind in 2024?

Last year, the first week of January 2023, I face planted in a parking lot and just about broke my ankle. This is where my diabetes journey started. The trauma to my ankle was server but thankfully not broken, but it shouldn't have taken as long as it did to heal. By the beginning of March 2023 I was finally out of the boot and scooter. The 2nd week of March is when I was diagnosed with diabetes. So, a year later, I'm on the path to living with my diabetes and getting it under control. The weekly shots have played a significant role in my progress. I walked into this year, January 2024, VERY carefully. BUT, don't you worry, I'm not leaving this month unscathed. The first weekend of the month, I went to the barn, had my lesson, had a great ride with Buffy and I came home. I decided to lay down for a minute before starting my weekend reset. A short nap. This short nap turned into a 12 hour nap. I basically slept from Saturday afternoon, to Sunday afternoon. Some nap, I wa

Cultivating relationships

Maintaining relationships demands effort; it's a mutual journey. Each party contributes, and amidst this exchange, bonds form—be it friendships or deeper connections. Some relationships necessitate more investment; sometimes, it feels like you're carrying the weight alone, striving to sustain the connection. Personally, I've struggled with nurturing friendships; perhaps due to youthful ignorance, where life felt boundless, consequences seemed distant, and self-centeredness prevailed. As age brings maturity, many friendships naturally drift away amid life's chaos and the challenges of adulthood. Reflecting on my past interactions often astonishes me; how did I manage any healthy relationships back then? Truthfully, I didn't. Those who I once considered friends, or who considered me as such, have vanished, leaving behind only fragmented memories—thanks, memory loss. Although forgetfulness might seem a blessing, the impressions we leave behind persist. This notion unne

not good news, but not bad news.

I put off returning to the Dr. as long as I could. I had to return because my Dr. wouldn't refill my medication till I came back in to see her. Fine.  I was going out of town and needed to get my meds refilled so I didn't have a choice. I fasted, had to my blood taken and would return the next day to see where I stood. Not good. But also not bad. What the hell does that mean? I've lost a ton of weight. I'm eating healthier, I miss all my favorite foods. I live off fruits, vegetables and nuts during the week. On the weekends, I splurge a little. A taste of a dessert, a diet coke... those kinds of cheats. It's still nothing like I use to eat. I dream of eating all my favorite things again. I've relaxed on my working out. I would probably be losing more weight if I kept up with my work out. But I haven't. I visit the gym when I feel guilty for not going...  I've changed my after work routine. I make sure I do things around the house and instead of going str